12.09.2011

Todays Post Brought To You By The Letter B...

December is a busy month, as in all of me and Big Man's weekends are filled throughout the holiday. 

Today begins the weekend of events and this is what is on our horizon tonight...

Oh yes....

My sister M was invited by a couple girls from work (we work together) to go to bingo tonight and not wanting to roll there by herself, she invited me to go. I, being the awesome sister I am agreed to go but really she didn't have to ask me twice. 

I've been going to bingo since I've been little with my Nan, Mom, Aunts, and Sister T (hello girls...we need to do this after the holidays!!!) and was even able to get Big Man to go when we first moved to Pennsylvania. That was a sight to be seen, click here, if you want to check that post out. 

Since we are going with coworkers and one coworker in particular is a pain in the ass, we plan to smuggle some booze into the bingo hall via ice tea containers...haha. People may consider this an old lady game and I wouldn't tell you, you're wrong, but this little lady is in it to win it (the jackpot please..) and might possibly be a little wine drunk doing it.  :) 

While the ladies are off getting their bingo on, Big Man and my BIL Dang we'll be at home with the baby and will be teaching tiny E the art of making Boilo.

What is Boilo you may ask?!?

In the Coal Region of Pennsylvania where I live, this alcoholic beverage is a must have and is at practically every holiday party I attend during the season. 

Boilo ( pronounced boy-low) in it's true state has oranges, pears, apples, cloves, and a bunch of other fruits and such and was originally made with moonshine. Talk about, knocking you on your ass but many people also used Everclear, grain alcohol. Due to it's high alcohol content, I'm pretty sure it is illegal in some places and I am sure they do not sell it in Pennsylvania at all. 

They're are many recipes out there and each family and person makes it differently but we enjoy the...
 Apple Pie Boilo 
Think my apple cider on steroids out there looking for a fight and whooping your apple ciders ass. 

Like I said, everyone does it differently and the via the picture above also has a different recipe but here is how we usually do ours....

Add 1 quart of apple cider (or 1 qt of apple juice with a half cup of brown sugar),
 2 cinnamon sticks
 1 teaspoon  ground cloves
 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg together
 Boil for 10 minutes.

Noted: You can use a crock pot or do it on the stove top

Remove from heat.
 After 10 minutes add a half bottle of 4 Queens Blended Whiskey
(this is not really sold much outside our area I don't think, but def. use this)
 Cover with a lid and let sit until it it cools to room temp then bottle it and refrigerate.

This is at it's best when served warm....so heat it up in the microwave before taking your shot. : )

Ahhhh....I can't wait to get this yummy goodness in my belly....the boys better not mess this up ; ) lol

***
Rest of Weekend Plans:

Christmas Village with both my sisters, my niece and nephew, and BIL...so excited!
An Italian Holiday Dinner with my Dad's side of the family....spaghetti, get in my belly. :)

So if I'm absent this weekend from the blogs, you'll know why....I'll get pictures though, don't you worry.

Have a great weekend loves. : ) 

13 comments:

Sarah said...

I've never heard of that drink before! Or the whiskey you suggested putting in it. Interesting how we can all be from one country, but have totally different traditions, names, and recipes for things isn't it? Love the idea behind it though! I may have to see if Nick wants to try it out, he's a sucker for apple cider and liquor. Haha. :)

Erin said...

Uuuuuuh. Yum? Is it bad that I want some at 7 a.m.?

Betsy said...

OMG, we make Apple Pie drink here in NW Ohio. Never called it Boilo, but we use Grandpa's moonshine and call it Apple Pie. Delish but dangerous! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued by this Boilo stuff...I've never heard of it before. I totally dig Bingo! I love that your sneaking your sauce in using ice tea bottles.

Mrs. H said...

There go two things I know nothing about! Never played Bingo and I've never heard of Bolio. But what's this you say? Bolio has alcohol....well then resist I can't, still this recipe I must and try I will! ENjoy your weekend! Hope you win big at bingo!

Rebekah said...

Have fun at bingo! I've never heard of that drink, but it sounds interesting. :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Shelley said...

I really like playing bingo! You won an award on my blog!

TLF said...

Gosh, now I'm hungry... lolol!!

Cheerful Homemaker said...

Crazy. Where I'm from they just stick to moonshine. I went on a hayride in college once w/ a friend and there was moonshine. Each time you took a drink you had to say, "Damn, that burns!" The more drunk the person was, the funnier it was when they said it.

Allison M. said...

never heard of this but it sounds delicious. what a great holiday tradition.

in cleveland, we have christmas ale which is also known as christmas crack because it's such a high alcohol content it messes EVERYONE up

Meghan said...

It sounds delicious and dangerous at the same time! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Omg that sounds awesome! We usually make wassail and spike it, but this sounds better!

Heather said...

i don't think i've told you but I absolutely LOVE this layout! I can't belief it has little animated snow flecks, eek! too much! and that hat you cropped on to Mia? LOVE IT!