4.03.2013

5 Things I Learned About Zumba


It all started on New Year's Day, myself along with almost everybody else making vows to finally shed the weight this year and get our booties in shape. I say it every year, and always come June/July I am kicking myself in the ass for not buckling down and sticking to a good diet and exercise routine. Maybe I shouldn't have ate that whole pot of mac and cheese....maybe I shouldn't have indulged in yet another Snickers. The inner dialogue I have with my self is ridiculous yet I still don't push myself to really do the work. 

It wasn't until the miscarriage that I actually started to really think of my health and how it affects me and my hopeful future baby. For those short few days there was that glimmer of hope and the 'oh shit, I really need to straighten my shit up and watch what I eat...' thoughts and even when it ended, it stuck in the back of my mind that I needed to make a change. So with that I finally obliged and went to a Zumba class with my friend from work. 

I know that diet and exercise go hand in hand but I'm still working out the kinks in the 'eating right' department but I want to share with you a few little tid bits of my first Zumba experience. 


1. Over Confidence = You Looking Like An Asshole
Foolish, foolish Ivy. I was so naive and walked into that Zumba class with my head held high and ready to go. I knew how to dance, hell I spent the better part of my early 20's in the Orlando clubs shaking what my mama gave me. I was confident that I would rock the face off Zumba and maybe end up teaching the class by the end of the hour but I was WRONG! SO WRONG!

3 songs in and I wanted to die. There I am, the youngest one in class and I am about to keel over from exhaustion. I'm pretty sure the 50 year old lady next to me was giving me the stink eye as she shimmied and shook her weighted Zumba maracas but I was one leg kick away from my grave. That surely knocked me down a couple of notches.

2. Leg - Eye Coordination Is Not My Strong Suit
Since I wasn't going to let old Mary Maracas over there beat me, I took a few gulps of water and started kicking up my heels ready to sweat the skinnies out of me. Arm shake here, spin around in a circle there and then bing!bang!boom! kriss cross your legs then do a high kick but then switch to the other leg on the next beat then spin again and contemplate murdering your stupid legs because WHY THE EFF ARE THEY NOT WORKING?!?  It has come to my attention that I do not have any leg-eye coordination, friends. Trying to watch the instructor on stage then mimic her movements all while dancing a ridiculous jig and trying not to fall flat on your face is a feat I barely won. #legfail

3. Wear Breathable Clothing
I made the mistake of wearing heavy sweatpants and wowsers, holy swamp ass Batman. Then again, maybe I peed myself....things got hazy there for a minute. ; )

4. Singing Is Frowned Upon
There were a couple of pretty current songs and I caught myself a few times in the heat of the moment, busting out my best Mariah Carey. Looks as though, that kind of thing is not really encouraged but you know what I say...the hell with em'. If B has to listen to me howl in the car then these ladies get the pleasure while I sweat my butt off. Bee tee dubs....I also understand why performers use backtracks while they sing and dance. Doing both is crazy hard on that little thing called breathing.

5. Those Club Days Paid Off On A Few Songs
I would say I'm a pretty decent dancer but where I shined at Zumba was on the Reggae and Soca songs. Having danced my nights away at Tabu and Cairo back in the day, I am one white girl that can get down to some Dutty Wine and Pop, Lock, & Drop it with the best of them. Booty shakin' is where I sparkle!

I plan on keeping up with it and hopefully with some time I can get the moves down and not die in the process. Wish me luck, tonight will be my second night.

Have you tried Zumba?!?
If so, how did you like it?!?

15 comments:

Rachel said...

"maybe I peed myself...things got hazy there for a while" - HILARIOUS! I have some Zumba DVDs that I've done, but I think a class would be way more fun!

Ashley said...

I absolutely love Zumba!! This post makes me laugh because its totally true!!

Mrs. G said...

I love this! The first time I did zumba I gave 110% on the first 3 or 4 songs and then I realized my legs were turning to jelly. When I went to get a swig of water, I bent over and legit just kept going over and face planted....in front of a room of about 100 people. Needless to say I took my jelly legged ass home.

Faith said...

i want to try it in the worst way but i never get to the gym on time, lol.

i'll do it this year.

Shelley said...

That zumba class sounds harder than any of the ones I've been to! Weighted moraccans? Whaaaa? I totally laughed at #3. Have you ever seen that picture of "This is what you think you look like during zumba" and "this is what you really look like"? It's hilarious. I laugh during class sometimes thinking about it. The first picture is some hot dancer and the second is ace ventura in a tutu.

Jessa said...

I like Zumba, surprisingly since there isn't anything remotely coordinated or dance-ish in my genetic pool I have only done it a couple of times, and not in almost two years. Just can't afford it right now.

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

Today was my first zumba class ever! I loved it. I totally sung and no one cared--music was too loud for anyone to notice ;) And I looked like an idiot and and it didn't matter. Luckily, I'm semi in shape so I didn't feel like I was going to die but it IS a good workout and there's no doubting that! !I love it!

Samantha said...

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude. I need you to guest post for me as you progress in the Zumba department.

Julie Keller said...

By FAR this is my favourite post of yours yet. You get the sweaty ass-or was it pee award! Seriously, my co-workers must think I've lost it with my ridiculous laughter. All in good fun, and since I can relate after attempting a couple Zumba videos on YouTube, and failing. Uh! Why is it so difficult? I've decided to not humiliate myself in public, and I asked for the DVDs for my birthday. Oh yes. Now only the cat will be laughing at me, because you can bet I'm not going to let my husband watch the shinanagins! I applaud you.

Cece @Mahogany Drive said...

I've heard Zumba is fun but I've never tried it. Anything that is fun and breaks of the monotony of working out is great. Hope you can stick with the exercise thing. It's hard sometimes and even more so then exercise weight loss is 99% diet. You'll be keeping up with the 50 year olds in no time!

Angie said...

Ha Ha- You crack me up
I've never tried Zumba because I'm fairly certain that I'd die with pee pants and that isn't really how I want to go down!

Jess said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! LOVE this!!

I love Zumba *when* you get a good instructor. I'm an instructor snob and have been known to leave 20 mins into a class when I'm not feeling the instructor. My favorite instructor used to be a professional dancer and she KILLS me.... I love it, lol.

Jessica (Bayjb) said...

I have never done Zumba before but want to, and will keep these tips in mind! Especially the top one, that would be so me too.

Jessica @ a new adventure said...

Omg, I love you! I cracked up during this entire post.

Tyly said...

I love Zumba, and it's so much harder than everyone thinks! Back when I was going regularly, I definitely lost some weight! It's a fun, awesome workout.