This post was not the post I intended to write as you can imagine by the title.
What was supposed to be a entry of happiness and giddiness, quickly turned into something quite different and though I share many things on this blog, including deeply personal stories, this one has by far been the hardest.
For the past six months, B and I have been trying to conceive a baby.
I might have made passing comments or tweeted here and there about it, but full disclosure was not something I was ready to share yet. We've been trying since our honeymoon in July and with each comment from a family member or friend, we've blown it off and decided to tell people we weren't ready yet. When in fact, we were ready. We were more than ready. We've been waiting years and now that we were finally in a good place financially and in our marriage, we were just waiting for the magic to happen.
I can go into a lengthy explanation about why we didn't share our intentions, but to put it bluntly...we didn't want to share anything until there was something to share.
Fast forward to Valentine's Day 2013.
For a few weeks prior, something about myself had been feeling off. I had been crazy tired, had extremely sore boobs., and a period that was no where in sight. I didn't want to hype myself because after sitting in the bathroom 4 other times staring blankly at a EPT that said 'not pregnant', I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment again. But on Valentine's Day, after reading two other pregnancy announcements and having period that was now working on 11 days late, I thought ...what the hell, let me just see.
I left work that day and on the ride home, I stopped at Rite Aid to grab a few V-Day goodies for B, along with a pack of pregnancy tests to try my luck on. I walked in the door and smooched B while giving him his bag full of V-Day treats. He then, walked me into the dining room, where he had my gifts set up and arranged awaiting for me to see. I fawned over the adorable teddy bear he got me, along with the tulips, chocolates, and card but really I was one tracked minded and wanting to get into the bathroom ASAP. I excused myself while he played video games, and snuck off under the guise of pooping (yeah...we all do it..) to go pee on that stick of uncertainty.
In all honesty, I was expecting it to say not pregnant, since I've been fooled by my body a couple times before but I was shocked and as tear streamed down my face, I looked down to see that it actually said pregnant. The one word that I have been longing to see was finally right in front of me. I dreamed about the day that this would happen and how I would do something super cutesy to surprise B with but in that moment, a thousand things were going through my mind and I had to gather myself in the bathroom before he came looking for me. This was it. It was Valentine's Day. That in itself would be a good enough story to share, of how we found out. So I stuck the stick in my hoodie and as B sat chilling on the couch still engrossed in his video game, I anxiously walked into the living room, exclaimed that 'I forgot one other gift...' and handed off the pregnancy test to him. Pure shock came over his face. Eyes wide. Mouth open. Hands on face. The mofo was seriously stunned. I think he thought it was some sort of Valentine's Day joke, but as he watched me choke back tears, the reality of it set in.
We were going to be parents.
Excitedly, I called the clinic the next day to tell them that I had a positive pregnancy test and to schedule my first appointment. When asked if I was bleeding...I said yes but only light spotting which I heard was normal in the first stages of pregnancy sometimes. The nurse instructed me to come and get bloodwork done, in the mean time, so they could track my levels and make sure everything was on course.
I did as I was told and on Saturday, B and I went out to eat with his friends. Not feeling too hot after dinner, I had B drop me off at home and I told him to stay out with his friends and enjoy himself. I figured I would just chill on the couch and rest but things took a turn for the worst when I went to the bathroom later that night and (TMI ALERT) wiped to find more blood and a large blood clot. In hindsight, I believe that was me actually miscarrying but since I've never experienced this before, I called the doctor the next morning and he told me he wanted me in first thing Monday morning.
Foolishly, I tried to go to work but only a few minutes in and an a painfully tearful explanation later (not the whole story but the gist) to my boss, and I was sent home. Time passed and around 10:40am it was time to go to the doctor. In short, he checked me, told me my levels had risen over the weekend but not alot, and for the next four days I was to be on 'pelvic rest' and excused from work. So I sat. And layed. And got blood taken every two days to check where I was at. B was amazing. He doted on me and made sure I was more than comfortable and had everything I needed. Anytime I even tried to step foot off the couch, he would badger me to lay back down.
We had a faint glimmer of hope that this might all work out and we'd actually be blessed with our baby but on Thursday as I went to get more bloodwork done, I decided I wanted to ask the nurse if she would check my levels to see where they were at. I waited all day for a call back from them, and finally at 4:10p.m. the call came.
My levels had dropped. And had continued to drop.
Slowly but surely, my body was ending this pregnancy.
My heart sank and my face flooded with tears as she told me, that yes, I was miscarrying but they still wanted to check my blood and have me come in for another appointment. I sat there in shock and in sadness as I sobbed into B's shirt. My eyes burnt as hot tears rolled down my cheeks and B just held me tight and let me cry it out. And I cried. And then cried some more. My throat knotted as I choked back the tears and the news that I dreaded the most.
It's hitting me hard. Even though I wasn't very far along (roughly 6 weeks) and I had just learned about it the week prior, I feel like a part of me has been stripped away. I feel like a failure. To myself. To my body. To my husband. And most importantly, to my would have been baby. Why couldn't my body do what it's naturally suppose to do? Why would I get a blessing and then have it so quickly ripped away? Why is that when you want something the most, it's the hardest to attain?
I'm hurting. My heart the worst.
People can say...'Oh it'll happen...it's in God's time...things happen for a reason...etc.' but it doesn't make the pain any easier. I know that I'm not the first and certainly won't be the last to go through this and yes, I know I should be grateful that I can even get pregnant in the first place but I'm just having a hard time seeing through the clouds right now. My heart goes out for anyone struggling with infertility, for the women who have been trying wayyy longer than us and those who have suffered the loss of a child in any stage.
So if you pondered my absence over the last week, this is where I was at.
I debated even pushing publish on this, but if I'm recording my life's events here, then I want to keep true to my form and document one of the toughest times along with the happy times. I'm choosing to move forward and to try to embrace the positive of life.
I will continue to work on myself, my health, and my marriage in hopes that we can bring a child into our lives in an even better place.
























60 comments:
I am in tears for you. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, and that this happened to you. I can't imagine that there are any words that can comfort you at this time, but you should know that I've got you in my thoughts.
Ivy,
I don't have the right words because I know that no matter what I say it won't change what has happened. Just know that I am so sorry and that I'm thinking and praying for you and B.
If you need anything or just an ear please let me know.
xoxo.
So so so sorry to hear this. Nothing to say but I'm thinking about you guys!
<>
Oh Ivy, I was wondering if this was the reason. I am so sorry for your loss. There's nothing I can say that will help but just know that I'm praying for you both.
Oh, sweetie. I just want to hug you! I'm not going to give you any lame advice - you don't need to hear it right now anyway. I'm just going to think of you and keep you in my prayers.
I sure am sorry to hear this. Love you pal!
My heart goes out to you and B and you are both in my prayers.
Words cannot express how sorry I am to read this. I remember almost three years (how in the world has it been three years?) ago, us sitting in the hotel room.... Britt and Justine were longing to get pregnant. The two of us giggled and gasped at the things we didn't know about "tracking" and trying. I remember we both said how scared we were that when our time to want babies came, we'd have a rough go at it. Both of them said, "Oh, I think it is the blog world that gets us so scared. There are so many stories of Bloggers that are having difficulty. You guys won't have those problems."
I'm honestly heartbroken for you that you are now, three years later, going through this. I wish I could just hug you.
Also? Fairly recently, I was going through a rough time. I was sitting in a Bible study, just crying about my bruised heart. Everyone was saying the "right" things.... In God's time, You have a great support system, You'll be better for it, On the other side of this you'll see the whole picture, etc, etc, etc.
Then, a sweet older lady grabbed my hand. She told all the other women, "Here is the thing. She knows all of this. All of your words are true, but she already knows this with her head. It is her heart that is hurting and when she goes home, it will still be hurting. No words or logical cliches will take that away. Sometimes, we just need to let someone hurt."
So, what I'm saying is that it's ok to hurt. You do not have to feel ungrateful or bad or use any sort of justification for just being sad.
If you ever need an ear... to cry, yell, or distract, PLEASE know that you can call me.
I am so sorry! I have been there and there are no words that will make it better. Thinking about you!
My heart hurts for you. We're coming up on 3 years of trying with no luck but I've never had to go through a loss. Hugs to you.
Oh sweetie I am just sooo sorry!! I will keep you and your hubs in my prayers. Hugs!!
I'm so sorry girl. My heart is literally breaking for you, I had tears in my eyes reading. There is nothing I can say to make the pain go away, just know I'm here, thinking of you! xoxo
Now that I am done bawling, I can comment.
As I read this, I was reminded of an exact same experience I had back in 2007.
I know the struggle, the heartbreak... I will be thinking of you and your husband.
There truly are no words to help someone through this situation so I'm sending you a hug.
Take care of yourself, it will get better. My little bouncing Twinkies are proof that happiness will happen for you as it did me. :)
We lost our 2nd pregnancy in a year in January, so I feel your pain. I'm very sorry for your loss. :(
I am so so so sorry this has happened. I do not know what it feels like to miscarry, but I do know what not being able to get pregnant feels like and you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I know there is not much any of us can say to make you feel better, but just know that you have all of us praying for you guys and we'll all be here if you need someone to talk to. Keep your head up.
I'm so sorry. Praying for you and Bdizzle as y'all get through this.
I'm glad you shared this even though it was hard. It is your story after all. Sorry this happened. I won't say try again or you are still young because it doesn't change the pain of what you are going through right NOW. Be there for eachother and you will get through it.
I have no words and only wish I could give you a huge hug! Thinking and praying for you as I can't even imagine the pain you are going through.
I know words can't really ease the pain you must be feeling right now. Just know that God will be with you through this whole season of healing & restoring. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. But know, in time, the pain you are feeling will fade. Keeping you guys in prayer.
{ Jess }
http://jmariesharp.blogspot.com
Ivy, I am so sorry that you and your hubby are going through this. Thinking and praying for you both in this difficult time. Hang on there - we are all here for you!
xoxo
Lindsey
I am so sorry that you are going through this. I know there are no words to take your pain away, but I'll be praying for comfort for you and your husband! Lots of love to you both!
I always appreciate how honest you are on your blog. Thinking of you and am sorry.
This is exactly what I went through the first time I ever got a positive pregnancy test. It is incredibly hard, and you will always love your baby. I was so mad at my body for failing me, for failing my husband, and mostly for failing my baby that couldn't be.
Cry. Hug B. Do whatever you need to deal with the many emotions that come with this. Know that you are deeply loved by those close to you and those who follow your blog, (like me). Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way!
Love you Ivy.
So sorry to hear this. Thinking of you and your hubs during this difficult time.
Oh no, my heart is breaking for you right now. I've been through a similar situation and I know how devastating it can be. Just take some time for yourself, let all those tears out, and then the best thing for me was to just jump back into normal life. In my experience the hardest part was talking about it, and I commend you for sharing this. Hang in there!!!
Trish
www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com
I am so sorry to hear this news and I can only hope that you are blessed the next time around. I can't imagine the pain you are feeling and nothing I can say will help that pain but know that you are in my thoughts and I send you all of the love I can.
I am so sorry. I know that nothing that anyone says is going to help you at the moment but I promise you that it does get easier. You will never ever forget your precious little baby but the pain will ease.
Take your time in grieving and make sure you get plenty of rest. I am thinking of you xxx
I wish that I had the right words to share with you, but nothing will take away the pain that you are feeling. Prayers for you and your hubby ((hugs))
Ohmygoodness Ivy, I am so incredibly sorry. I can't even imagine this feeling, I've not tried myself, but this is one of my biggest fears as a woman. All I can tell you is that I know a close friend who this happened to, and soon she was blessed with a beautiful baby girl and now a baby boy. Because of her hardships, she really took care of herself during pregnancy and obviously cares about her kids. I hope that things look up for you guys soon. Just remember it's not your fault, no matter how much it's going to feel that way. Again. I'm SO sorry.
I'm so sorry sweetie. I can imagine how much it hurts to want something, think you have it, and it's taken away from you. My heart goes out to you and your Hubby. As far as your body failing you, it's the exact opposite. Our bodies know when something isn't right, and miscarriages usually happen because something is very wrong. Your body isn't failing you, it's protecting you. It will happen when the time is right. I know that's hard to hear, but it will, and it will be perfect. *HUGS* to you my darling!
Ugh, my heart hurt reading this because I, too have been there (as you know I'm sure). All I want to say is that I'm sorry this happened to you, it sucks and it's totally painful no matter when (how early/late) it happens. I'm not going to say any of those cliche things about Gods plan, blah blah. Because that is NOT what anyone needs to hear. It sucks and if you need someone who gets it and need a vent/email--I'm here. xo
I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how disappointed you both must feel. I will be praying for you! Virtual hugs your way...
Oh Ivy- my heart was so heavy reading this post. I hope that you're surrounding yourself with as much love as possible during this difficult time. I'll be thinking about you!
I am so sorry, love. I can't imagine what you must be going through but you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers!
Ivy. I'm sorry. I won't try to say anything magnificent, because I know none of my words will do any good or take things back for you...but what you said about "I know I should be grateful I can get pregnant at all..." don't feel like you have to excuse your pain. You don't. Let it happen, and...if nothing else...enjoy continuing to try. :) Smile, girl. It takes a lot to share these things. Sending you hugs.
I know how hard this was to write. This is almost the exact same thing that happen to me. B is an amazing man, remember that. you have to stay on the positive side when everything feels like the world is ending. It hurts physically.. and more than enything it fucks you up mentally. Big time.
You'll stop crying eventually, you'll stop being scared eventualy. It takes a lot of time. Just remember time is the only thing that helps. You have tons of people who care for you, I know you know this. I know it doesnt help right now. Sounds screwed up doesnt it?
Take the time you need, don't brush it off.
and if you do need someone who understands, I'm always here!
oh girl, i am so so sorry. sending hugs your way! <3
I'm so sorry Ivy.
I haven't commented in forever and have made my own blog private over the past couple of years but I just want to say I am so sorry and I pray for happier days ahead of you! Lots of hugs!!!
I'm so sorry. My heart breaks for you. I won't pretend to even know what you're going through, but know that I'm thinking of you.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Please don't give up hope and keep trying. My prayers are with you and B.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Please don't give up. My prayers are with you during your time of grief.
I am so very sorry for your loss, you will truly be in my thoughts and prayers. I admire you for your strength and courage to share your experience-thank you so much for that. My husband and I went through the same thing in November (it was also our first pregnancy) and felt all the things you mentioned in your blog...and still feeling them, to a certain degree. For some time I felt like no one really understood what I was going through....I've been reading your blog for some time now and decided to de-lurk to let you know, you are not alone!
Virtual hugs to you!
I am so very sorry for your loss, you will truly be in my thoughts and prayers. I admire you for your strength and courage to share your experience-thank you so much for that. My husband and I went through the same thing in November (it was also our first pregnancy) and felt all the things you mentioned in your blog...and still feeling them, to a certain degree. For some time I felt like no one really understood what I was going through....I've been reading your blog for some time now and decided to de-lurk to let you know, you are not alone!
Virtual hugs to you!
I have been a silent reader for a while but I had to post a comment to this post.
All I can say is lots of hugs your way. I am so sorry that you had to experience this horrible and definitely heartbreaking event. I wish no one ever did.
Nothing I can say would change things but there's hope. I went to a devastating miscarriage like this over a year ago and today my rainbow baby is 6 months old. I pray and hope that you find the peace in this difficult time.
Cry to your heart's content, find solace in your husband and your family, grieve for this dream taken away way too son. Hopefully in due time, you will heal.
I'm so sorry. I wish I had beautiful words to say to make you feel better, but I don't. Life freaking sucks sometimes.
I'll be thinking about you guys and praying for you.
Feel free to email me if you need to vent... I've been there before too. Definitely my darkest days.
Love ya girl!
Oh honey... I'm so sorry. I know all too well the feelings and thoughts and things you're going through and it pains me that you are feeling this way. I'm glad you wrote this post and I pray that all of the thoughts and prayers coming your way help you heal. Lots of love, always and forever.
Lori
this is a beautiful post. I am sorry for your loss and I hope that it will get easier for you. You are a strong woman who just shared her deepest and saddest experience.
Please keep us updated. I hope the next baby sticks for you guys!
I am so so sorry dear friend. My heart aches for you and B :( Sending huge hugs and lots of love. If i can help at all pls let me know. Love you. Thoughts and prayers!!!
There are no words that I can say that will help you, bring you to a better place. Crying it out seems like the best that you can do, and the right thing to do. I did wonder what was going on in your life, not being a long-time follower, but you seem to post fairly often, so your absense was noticed. I hope that you can eventually find some comfort.
I am so so so sorry. I have a close friend that this happened to too. She didn't tell me for awhile but then finally did and felt some relief. I hope writing out your thoughts and feelings has helped you feel a little bit better every day.
I'm so so sorry. I know that doesn't bring any comfort. While we didn't experience loss like this, we did go through fertility treatments and I do know the feeling of longing and have heard all the cliche things that people say. No words can comfort that ache, even though they are true. Just know that in thinking about you and praying that your little miracle will come soon.
I'm so sorry to hear this girl. I completely feel your pain because we've been trying for 10 years and suffered 2 miscarriages. I know it's especially hard when everyone around you constantly asks when you're gonna have a baby, because we do the same thing and just blow it off as though we enjoy the freedom. I'm praying for yall! <3
Oh, Ivy. I am so sorry to read this. My heart is in piece for you and hubby.
I send prayers of comfort.
a big hug and kiss!
so sorry, sweet girl. hugs and prayers to you and b.
I wish I could say I understand what you're going through, but I can't.
I wish I had the right words to say, but I don't.
What I can say, however, is that I am proud of you for posting this and sharing. You are a strong woman, and you will get through this. I KNOW you have a great family and support system (bloggy friends included).
We're all hear for you.
We're all ears.
We're all hearts <3
I don't know how I missed this in the first place, but you recent post led me to find this one. I am so sorry for your loss, what a terrible thing to go through. While this will never leave you, it is good to see that you are focusing on the positives now, and moving forward. You deserve to the best, and I wish only happiness for you, in whatever form you can find it. Hugs. <3
I am so sorry. There are no words...
Post a Comment