5.16.2012

The Bad Side Of Being Happy

Lately, I have really been contemplating myself and Big Man's life.....
In a good way. 

Do you ever get that feeling sometimes when things are going so good, that your expecting something bad to happen eventually and your as they say 'waiting for the other shoe to drop'?!? No? Pessimist much?

Well that is how I am feeling lately and I need a swift kick to get me out of this funk. 

With little hope when we first moved to Pennsylvania, this move has been the most beneficial move we've ever made for ourselves. Ever since the beginning the odds have seemed to be in our favor and thankfully it has been turning out that way. 

Here's a little synopsis of our 'good luck': 
- Had a free place to stay ala the 'rents when we first moved up from Florida
- My BIL's brother just happened to be moving to another house just a couple of months after we got up here and we were able to rent his house.
- Big Man found a job pretty quickly and I found one within 3 months. 
- Higher pay than we had in Florida and better health benefits. 
- Got married with the help and love of our family. 

And now...
- We are being offered a new home at a great price and with the space we will need to expand our family 
- And we will be trying for a wee one in the not so distant future.

I feel like an a-hole for being all Debbie Downer about it but I feel like things are just going too good to be true and someone is going to come and pull the rug from under us soon. 

I'm being a weirdo, right?

With so many people out there not being so fortunate (with jobs, homes, what have you) , I feel like I'm being ungrateful for having these mixed feeling about it all. I truly want to enjoy all that we have, but this little irk is telling me not to get too excited to quickly. 

I'm going to try to kick this feeling though. 

I feel like if you think badly, bad things will  start to happen but if you think positive, your 'good luck' will keep up and I certainly wouldn't mind that. Not sure what the point of this post was but I guess I just had to get this off my chest in hopes of getting rid of these negative vibes. 

Do you ever get like this?!?
If so, how do you combat it?

18 comments:

Mrs. Type A said...

I sometimes feel like this. As you know from my blog I had a few disastrous years (my mom died, my dad got laid off, i got sick, my grandma died) but since then it has been rainbows, puppies, etc.! I always get scared that things are on an upswing right now and that crappy things will return. I try to just not think about it!

Elizabeth Justice said...

I have to admit, I totally know where you are coming from. I feel this way sometimes, and I have to do the same as you, to keep positive and be grateful for the good times.

Angie said...

Yes, I do that often & it's terrible. Just try to enjoy the moment!!!

CeCe said...

I do get like this sometimes. I have felt like this. Like, it's too good to be true! But you just have to enjoy life and the moments for what they are. You are a good person, you have worked hard, things have gone your way and you are reaping the benefits of that. It's natural to worry that the other shoe is gonna drop as long as you don't dwell in that space so long that you can't enjoy what's happening.

Baylee said...

Gah, that sounds just like me. I always do that. But instead of waiting for something to happen I usually make something bad happen myself. I dunno. Always been that way. Something I read helped me though.. like attracts like. If you continue to be grateful and love it the more good things will keep coming. I notice it seriously does if I keep that positive attitude.. however I'm an eternal pessimist and wish I wasn't! Working on it.. Congrats on all of your good fortune though! :)

Jess @ Living On Sweet Tea said...

I get that way all the time! It almost feels too good to be true.. Then I get paranoid and ruin it. :/ relax!

Samantha said...

I totally get like this. Honestly, the only way I know how to work through it is prayer.

Katie said...

Sometimes I feel like this too. More often than not though, by time I start realizing how good I have it, that's when something bad happens, and then I feel like I had it coming because I had it good and didn't appreciate it. If you figure out how to avoid this, please let me know.

Meagan said...

I have definitely felt like this! Sometimes good things just happen. Just count your blessings!

Jessica (Bayjb) said...

So funny that you posted about this because I was just talking to a friend about this! It's normal but at least it's a flood of positive in your life.

Faith said...

I think it is a normal feeling ... Like how can everything be so great? I just try to remember that if things turn for me I'll still be able to handle it. Enjoy the good :)

Anonymous said...

YAYYYY, BABIES!

Wait. You said other things?

;)

I'm happy things have been going so well! I know what you mean about expecting something to go wrong, but cherish it just where it is. :) You're blessed.

Irish Italian Blessings said...

I feel like that ALLLLL the time :) It's like things are good...maybe too good?

Unknown said...

I have felt like that it's totally normal I say embrace the greatness in your life! Remember it can always be worse just count your blessings! I am sure you will soon be at a happy place where it will all make sense. If there's one thing you can never be prepared for is Life. Life is so uncertain.

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness you are too silly! Live it up! It is sooo rare for all those thing to go SO right! Enjoy it =D We(I) too are getting in gear for baby making! Its been crazy. SO happy for you two =D

Sarah said...

Nope, you're totally normal. I feel like this allll the time. I'm scared to death that we'll buy a house here and the AF will give us orders two months later. How much would that suck? But it's highly unlikely (Nick's no one important and it's expensive to move people) and most of the time, that's what worrying is- stress over things that are highly unlikely to happen. My best advice? Use whatever tools you have to prepare for whatever fears you have, that way if they do happen, you're not caught unprepared. :)

Rachel said...

I SO get that. I feel that way quite often actually. But good things are in store for us!! :)

Honey B. said...

I'm very much like that. All I can say is that you need to work hard at not dwelling on the things that could be - because they usually don't happen - and focus on the amazing things that make up your life. :-)