That is the number.
The eleventh year since the devastating attacks on America on the eleventh day of September in the year two thousand one. This year the anniversary is sticking out more to me than any other year. Possibly because of the prevalence of all the elevens or maybe because seeing the number eleven written out reminds us of the two fallen towers that we commemorate each year on this day.
I remember when the attacks first happened I was a scared little 9th grader who asked my dad what was going to happen now. Not yet knowing all that was ahead of us, I lived in my naive childhood bubble of thinking that everything would turn out okay. Ha.
Besides the education my Dad gave me on the subject, he also did something that I never would have thought of but I'm so thankful he did....
Yes, that is a newspaper but take a closer look at the date that is scrolled across the top.
It reads....Wednesday, September 12th, 2001.
The day after one of the worst terrorist attacks on America when every major news outlet and newspaper was reporting on this countrywide story. Where titles that screamed 'ATTACKED' and 'ACT OF WAR' were boldly typed across practically every paper. My dad went out and collected many of the major newspapers and told me that I would be glad to have these later.
That is five different newspapers that went to print on September 12th, 2001 and each documented that fateful day.
Why am I thankful to have these?!?
Because in a sea of YouTube clips, Google searches, and Wikipedia entries these are the first written words that convey the real raw emotion of that day. The fear of the country that spanned over states and other stories and that captivated us all. I know atleast for me growing up I loved seeing artifacts that my grandparents kept from their day and I hope that in the future when this will hopefully be long behind us, I will have these first reports to show my children and grandchildren.
Sure, it will be written in all the American History books, but I will have my own copies to remember just how everyone felt that day.
I pray for the peace and healing of all the victims and their friends and family who still struggle in the aftermath . I hope I never live to see these types of headlines again but we must reflect and remember what our devastating reality really is.
We're in a time of war and whether I agree to it or not, I still want to thank all the service men and women who go out their and risk their lives to fight for us in the aftermath of this all. So please today and everyday hold your loved ones a little tighter and live your life with love instead of hate in your heart.
It can be a clear blue day when it all can be taken away from you.

























3 comments:
beautiful post. I like the idea about being able to read some of the first words written about it. I still feel very affected by the 9/11 attacks. I can still remember the silence of hearing no planes go over my house for almost a week and the shock I felt in realizing that we weren't invincible. Crazy!
Wow! You're a youngin! I was a freshman in college, and I still remember exactly where I was, what I was doing when I first heard and saw. I don't think I will ever forget that.
That was a smart idea your dad had. I'm sure those will be worth a lot of money one day, but the meaning of them is priceless.
It's so wonderful that you have those! Definitely a historical keepsake.
Post a Comment